In Your Face
'In Your Face'
Currently in progress in the studio
This body of work addresses a philosophical investigation into portraiture, one of the world’s oldest art forms. An investigation of self-image, triggering questions such as:
- What is a portrait?
- Where does portraiture sit in today’s society?
- Where does portraiture sit today in relation to self-image?
- How ‘real’ is the portrait today with the consideration of magazine imagery, social media and the omni-practice of the ‘Selfie’?
- How is the portrayal of the image manipulated by the sitter i.e. make-up, pose etc?
- How is the portrayal of the image manipulated by the artist, often with the incorporation of their own emotions?
- How does the artist or the audience relate to the sitter in terms of self consciousness?
- Do portraits ask questions?
- Can they give answers?